Am I allowed to drive in Australia as an international student?

Will a foreign licence work in Australia?

As an international student, you are permitted to drive in Australia if your overseas licence is valid.

To be able to drive in Victoria you must have a current and valid driver licence for the type of vehicle you are driving. As well, if your licence is not in English you will need a translation document for your licence.

An International Driving Permit(External link) is a valid translation document and is readily available from all countries. If you do not have a translation document you could be issued with a traffic infringement for unlicensed driving. This may also impact your vehicle insurance so make sure you carry your driver licence and the translation document.

Remember, if your interstate or international licence has conditions those conditions will still apply in Victoria.

Below is a state-by-state breakdown of how long you’re allowed to drive in Australia on a foreign licence:

  • ACT: 3 months (90 days)
  • NSW: 3 months 
  • Northern Territory: 3 months
  • Queensland: 3 months (from 1 August 2022)
  • South Australia: 3 months (90 days)
  • Tasmania: 3 months
  • Victoria: 6 months
  • Western Australia: 3 months

What are the types of licences in Australia?


In Australia, there are different types of licences in Australia for different vehicles. The most common licence is the C class licence, which you will need if you are hoping to drive a regular car. There are also a variety of licences required for drivers of buses and trucks, and riders of mopeds and motorcycles. 

You can learn more about the various types of driver’s licences in Australia here.

A quick guide on Driving in Australia for Overseas Students.

Visit for more information.