How to secure a tax file number?
You need a TFN so you do not pay more tax than necessary. It also helps you with starting a job or lodging a tax return. You can apply for a tax file number (TFN) either online or by paper depending on your circumstances and residency status. It is free to apply.
How visitors living in Australia with a valid foreign passport or travel document (visa) apply for a TFN.
To work in Australia, you will need authorisation (a valid visa) from the Department of Home Affairs.
You can apply for a TFN if you meet all the following 3 conditions:
- You are a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor.
- You are already in Australia.
- Your visa is one of the following
- a permanent resident visa
- a visa with work rights
- an overseas student visa
- a visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely (including New Zealanders automatically granted a visa on arrival).
To apply online IAR you must have a valid passport or relevant travel documents. If you don't have a valid visa, you can't apply for a TFN.
More information can be located here.