The Vermont South Learning Centre are looking for a dynamic and motivated person to join our dedicated team, as the Supervisor and Cook for our social enterprise Café. You will lead a small team in the day to day operations of the Café, as well as support the training of students interested in a hospitality career.
The Vermont South Learning Centre offers programs and services in a friendly, purpose-built environment to meet the needs of the local community. These include adult education, lifestyle & recreational courses, children’s activities, a social enterprise café & catering, and room hire.
Purpose of Position
• Supervision and accountability for the daily operations of the VSLC Community Café and catering service.
• Lead and organise the cooking/preparing of a Café style menu, focused on healthy, nutritious low cost food.
• Train, supervise and support café/catering staff, students and volunteers.
• Support the delivery of pre-accredited hospitality courses at the centre and supervise work placements in the café/catering service.
• Work with the staff, volunteers, local community and other stakeholders to further develop and grow the Social Enterprise Café business, in response to community needs and aspirations.
1. Café and Catering operations
• Coordinate day to day functions of the Cafe, which will include but is not limited to: customer service, cooking/food preparation, staff rostering and supervision, cash handling, and set up/close down requirements.
• Monitor and maintain the safety and cleanliness of the cafe, kitchen, courtyard and storage area environments.
• Plan, budget and deliver a Cafe style menu in accordance with season and fresh, affordable food principles.
• Foster a positive environment, which provides consistent, efficient, and friendly service for customers, and exceeds customer expectations.
• Oversee and support direct reports to ensure smooth day to day operations and an ongoing continuous improvement culture.
• Plan, budget and organise catering quotes, contracts and functions.
• Provide first point of contact for Cafe and catering enquiries.
• Ensure compliance with statutory laws (Food Safety Act / OH&S Act) and requirements specified in Health Regulations.
• Stock control - ordering stock and implementing processes regarding the receiving, storing and utilizing of stock within the Café.
2. Training & Work Placements
• Support the delivery of training in pre-accredited hospitality courses.
• Train, supervise and support staff, volunteers and course participants in the Café, with a particular focus on pathway outcomes for priority groups.
• Assist with the identification and development of programs that identify and support skills growth and employment pathways in the area of hospitality.
• Provide mentoring and maintain an inclusive learning environment for all abilities and learning styles to achieve positive outcomes for participants and volunteers.
3. Marketing, administration and compliance
• Assist the Marketing Officer and Manager with the development and implementation of marketing strategies to ensure maximum utilisation of the Café and catering service.
• Identify risks and implement strategies to address these risks.
• Work in conjunction with Centre manager to develop and implement aims, objectives and operational procedures for the cafe, its staff, volunteers and participants.
• Maintain an up to date knowledge of relevant Food Safety legislation and food safety procedures and ensure all documentation is maintained accurately and efficiently.
• Maintain an up to date knowledge of OH&S legislation and ensure the café operations adhere to all relevant requirements.
4. Financial Accountability
• Ensure all financial processing and transactions are completed efficiently and in accordance with relevant centre procedures.
• Identify and report any variances or discrepancies directly to the Centre Manager.
• Ensure the café and catering service run according to budget and expense limits are observed and adhered to.
• Provide leadership and coordination for direct reports and volunteers supporting them to achieve key responsibilities successfully.
• Demonstrate leadership through ethical and accountable practices and positive effective communication with all stakeholders.
• Coordinate and ensure annual staff performance and development reviews are undertaken and actioned for all direct reports, either in person or in conjunction with the Centre Manager.
• Assist the manager with the recruitment, support and induction of volunteers and direct reports.
6. Relationships and Partnerships
• Develop and maintain strong working relationships with relevant job agencies, TAFE’s and local RTO’s.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with funding bodies, local Council, partner organisations and other community stakeholders.
7. Organisational Relationships
• Responsible to: Centre Manager
• Responsible for: Café staff, volunteers and workplace students
• Collaborates with: VSLC staff and Board, external stakeholders and partners
Key Selection Criteria
• Qualification in Hospitality and/or previous proven experience working in a café/restaurant in community settings.
• Demonstrated skills and experience in cooking/catering as well as Barista coffee making experience.
• Food Safety Supervisor Certificate (or willingness to obtain)
• Strong attention to detail and ability to drive excellent service standards.
• Previous supervision experience and effective leadership skills
• Well developed ability to work with diverse populations and with a broad range of community and business partners and stakeholders.
• Highly developed communication skills, including skills in training, facilitation, negotiation and conflict resolution.
• Strong organisational skills, including demonstrated computer skills.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment and in a consultative manner.
• Certificate IV Workplace Training & Assessment.
• Previous experience working in a Social Enterprise or in community hospitality settings.
To register your interest please contact Carol on: