Meet your 2020 Holmesglen Student Reps

Michaela Hosking Holmesglen Staff • 4 September 2020
2 comments
14 likes

Introducing your student reps for 2020...

Below are Holmesglen's 2020 student reps. These student reps form the Student Representative Council and will work in partnership with the Institute on matters relating to educational and student life matters. 

.Teresa Lam

Bachelor of Accounting

Hello everyone! My name is Teresa Lam. I am a penultimate year student at Holmesglen undertaking a Bachelor degree of Business Accounting. I have chosen Holmesglen because it is one of the largest providers of vocational and higher education in Victoria. I have enjoyed small class learning which has enhanced better performance. I am passionate about Holmesglen and representing and advocating for student rights. As a student representative, I endeavour to engage students into Holmesglen activities and improve Holmesglen facilities. From my experience as a Student Ambassador and GDP representative, I have learnt the importance of synergy and win-win, together we can go further.

You can contact me, by emailing nlam29@student.holmesglen.edu.au

.Victoria Varlet

Bachelor of Hospitality Management 

Hi! I am Victoria and I'm studying a Bachelor of Hospitality Management. I am a proud stage 4 student at Holmesglen Institute. My sister is an ex Holmesglen student from the same course and I had the chance to see the professionalism and excellence of Holmesglen lecturers. Also the organisation, student concern and involvement made me choose this Institute for studies. I have never seen so much time, attention and care given to students anywhere and I love studying at Holmesglen. I hope to achieve what students expect from me and be able to provide help and understanding to them through communication. I want students to see me as a facilitator between Holmesglen and themselves, so that we can grow as a family.

You can contact me, by emailing evarlet@student.holmesglen.edu.au

.Sonela Raggoo

Bachelor of Accounting

My name is Sonela and I am currently in stage 4 of my Bachelor of Accounting at the Chadstone campus. I chose Holmesglen because I was referred by a friend who had previously studied at Holmesglen and had a fantastic experience. I have now studied two courses at Holmesglen and I must say that I like the atmosphere. It's a very friendly and diverse and the tutors are always available to help students. 

As a representative, I want students to trust me in helping them with any concerns. I want to create a positive bond where they feel supported and know they have a representative as well as a friend to listen to them. I also want students to have a good experience at Holmesglen - remembering their college days as the best. 

You can contact me, by emailing sraggoo@student.holmesglen.edu.au

Swetta Libera

My name is Swetta Libera and I’m currently a stage 5 student completing a Bachelor degree in Hospitality Management. I chose to study at Holmesglen because it has won several industry Collaboration Awards, including the Victorian Training Awards, which is the State’s showcase for the "best of the best" in the TAFE and training sector. A Bachelor of hospitality at Holmesglen also offers operational and higher level management skills, contextualised for hospitality. Holmesglen staff are highly qualified with industry experience and they provide hands-on experience at their Cilantro and ZEST restaurants on campus. As a student representative, I hope to be the voice of reason for many students and contribute to a better learning environment that’s conducive to success. 

You can contact me, by emailing slibera@student.holmesglen.edu.au

Ider 'Eddie' Khoskhuu

Bachelor of Business Administration 

G'day! This is Ider Khoskhuu from Mongolia and I am a final year student studying Bachelor of Business Administration at the Chadstone campus. You can call me Eddie! 
Holmesglen is one of the largest education-providers in Victoria and the holistic learning approach which combines practical and theoretical learner, smaller and quality classes where teachers can interact with the students more, are the reasons why I chose Holmesglen. What I love from Holmesglen is the culture of Holmesglen where every teacher, staff and students is very friendly, approachable and generous. No one is superior here and staff members truely care about the students. I feel belonged. 
I became a student representative as my experience in Holmesglen is very positive and I would like to create a more positive environment for students and ensure the student voice is heard. This can be accomplished by establishing a holistic and authentic partnership between the student body and the education provider. Looking forward to creating a difference together. Thank you! 

You can contact me, by emailing ikhoskhuu@student.holmesglen.edu.au

Sachini Akushla

Bachelor of Nursing

Hi, I'm Sachini. Being an International student at Holmesglen has provided me with greater opportunities to develop my skills and knowledge. Holmesglen has helped to increase my job prospects, enhance my English language proficiency and has also supported me to become actively involved in my local community. I am currently a 1st year Bachelor of Nursing student and a certified Phlebotomist. I have chosen Nursing at Holmesglen due to its recognition and advanced teaching methods which I believe will assist me and give me the appropriate training as a registered nurse. Holmesglen is filled with vibrant cultures and multinational communities because of its inclusion and diversity, giving every student an opportunity to discover their inner talents. As a student representative, I hope to achieve several targets which include making students feel comfortable in their academic and social life. There are various ways as to how I will overcome this. I believe Holmesglen is more like a community rather than a university hence always supporting students in every way possible. 

You can contact me, by emailing sbatudanpev@student.holmesglen.edu.au

Midori Quck

My preferred name is Midori, I am currently doing my final stage of Bachelor of Hospitality Management. The reason that I have chosen to study at Holmesglen was that a family member of mine highly recommended Holmesglen and it is a well-established institute with various courses available for students. What I like most about studying at Holmesglen is the sense of community Holmeslgen has, on top of that, all teachers and staff are always trying their best to assist students in every aspect they can. Nonetheless, teachers from Holmesglen are also very understanding and show sympathy to students when required. A trip to Brisbane with Holmesglen Recreation Team was the highlight during my time at Holmesglen. During the trip, I have made new friends from different courses in Holmesglen, and it makes me realise that Holmesglen has so much to offer rather than just qualifications to students. My time at Holmesglen is about to come to an end and I intend to apply to the knowledge and skills that I have acquired throughout my time at Holmesglen to build a stronger student body though representing students from all different courses, help the communication between students and Holmesglen to eliminate the barriers and create a home away from home environment for students. 

You can contact me, by emailing hquck@student.holmesglen.edu.au

Joyline Tait

Diploma of Event Management & Certificate III in Live Production 

My name is Joy and I'm in my second semester of studying a Diploma of Event Management at the Glen Waverley campus. When I decided to study events, I wanted to study at Holmesglen because the diploma had a good mix of theory and practical placements, plus I knew Holmesglen had a fantastic reputation as an education provider. 

My favourite thing about studying at Holmesglen has been my teachers. They have been so supportive and helpful during my studies, especially when it cam to adapting the course to online delivery. I also like how many services and opportunities Holmesglen provides students to get involved with activities, events, tours and workshops. I feel like there's a real 'campus lifestyle'. 

As a student representative, I want to be the conduit for student voices to be heard. I hope to facilitate open communication between us the students and Holmesglen, to nurture our relationship and create conversations to spark change. I will endeavour to make myself known and available for students and create accessible feedback channels to encourage and facilitate student communication with all the reps. 

You can contact me, by emailing jtait10@student.holmesglen.edu.au

Nesma Said

Diploma of Human Resource Management 

Hi, my name is Nesma and I'm studying my final semester of a Diploma of Human Resource Management. 

I chose to study at Holmesglen because it is one of Australia's leading providers in vocational education and training and is well known internationally. 

I enjoy studying at Holmesglen as the teacher are very supportive and helpful and the learning materials are informative. I also like the wide range of support shrives available like student wellbeing, the learning skills centre and the library. 

My aim as a student representative is to represent the views, opinions and concerns of the student body and communicate their voice to Holmesglen's staff, and to represent the outcomes of Holmesglen’s student association to the student body.

I'm also bilingual so I will be able to help foreign Arab students whom English is their second language. I'm exciting to be part of Holmesglen's student association to help student reach academic success while providing them with all kinds of help and support. 

You can contact me, by emailing nhassan7@student.holmesglen.edu.au

Trav Hallam (Secretary, Student Representative Council) 

Diploma of Youth Work

Hi, I'm Trav, I'm 32 years old and an Aquarius.

I have been a student at Holmesglen since February 2019, where I studied a dual course in Youth Work & AOD (alcohol and other drugs). After successfully completing both courses, I decided to continue my studies and complete a Diploma in Youth Work which I have almost completed and have loved every moment of. 

I chose to study at Holmesglen as I felt a 'TAFE' learning environment would be easier to grasp - considering I had left school 13 years ago. Holmesglen also offered the course I wanted to study. Throughout my experience at Holmesglen, I can clearly state that the teachers are AMAZING and have greatly influenced my passion further to succeed.

As a student representative, I hope to be able to advocate for others, address concerns and actually achieve results. I hope to make changes so that everyone feels supported, heard and treated fairly and with dignity. 

I am extremely passionate towards mental health. I'm someone who always gives 100% and genuinely wants to help. I have some previous experience in similar roles and feel confident taking on a position as a student representative for Holmesglen. 

I look forward to connect with everyone and hopefully getting to meet with some of you over this semester. 

You can contact me, by emailing thallam4@student.holmesglen.edu.au

Lin Lau (Chair, Student Representative Council)

Diploma of Building & Construction

My name is Lin and I'm currently studying a Diploma of Building & Construction Management. I came to Holmesglen because I'm passionate about the property and building industry and the Chadstone campus facilities provide a great place to learn. 

I love the subjects I'm studying and enjoy the discussion with my teachers and fellow students who have lots of trade experience, particularly managing construction projects. 

As a Student Representative, I would like to listen to the needs of students and give them a voice about matters they think are important. 

I hope to act as en effective communication channel between the Institute and students and aim to promote and enhance the learning experience continuously. 

I am also bilingual and I can assist Chinese students whom English is their second language. 

You can contact me at llau12@student.holmesglen.edu.au 

Celeste De Freitas

Hi there, my name is Celeste.

I've been a student at Holmesglen Waverley campus for just under a year and currently studying for a Bachelor of Hospitality Management. I'm also currently serving on the Holmesglen Student Representative Council. 

I have years of experience in customer service, complaints handling and manager roles in Australia, America and the UK. After a few years of being part of the workforce, I finally knew what I wanted to study. I chose to come to Holmesglen as the course offers excelled hands-on experience and a really pathway into the industry. Also, the approach to classes allows for more personal learning - leader to a greater understanding of content and better relationships with teachers and students. Going back to school was hard at first, but slowly I have really come to enjoy studying and taking part in recreational activities.

As a student representative, I hope to create a feeling of comfort for students in both study life and social life. I want to be able o facilitate an open conversation between students and Holmesglen governance bodies, leading to a positive experience for everyone. I want everyone to feel like they are part of a community, all working towards the same goals. 

You can contact me at Cdefreitas@student.holmesglen.edu.au